Mayol Stadium, a legendary and atypical stadium, is a symbol in its own right of Var rugby and of Toulon. It is located in the centre of the city, within a stone’s throw of the Place Besagne.
It was built in 1919 thanks to Félix Mayol, a singer from Toulon who fell in love with rugby.
The structure changed over the years, firstly due to damage from a severe storm in 1930 and then from bombings during the Second World War in 1943.
In 1965, the Club gave the stadium to the City of Toulon who initiated a renovation plan.
All kind of legends have played in this venue known as the « Temple de Besagne » and not only those wearing spikes: various music stars, such as Johnny Halliday in 1977 and Bernard Lavillier have performed concerts in Mayol and Bob Marley performed one of his last concerts here in 1980.
Works continued outside the stadium at the beginning of the 1990s, highlighting Mayol’s central position in the Var city (construction of a shopping centre, a 3000-space car park under the stadium, Palais des Congrès convention centre and a hotel for attendees).
Further renovations were carried out by Toulon Council mid-season 2005-2006 in order to bring the stands up to standard and to refurbish the changing rooms. The stadium, home to rugby and the « Barbares de la Rade », is filled with fans season after season.
Since the 2013-2014 season, Mayol Stadium has increased its capacity to 15,250 places and 39 boxes.
Works continue during the 2015-2016 season with, firstly, an extension of the Bonnus stand, followed by the construction of a new stand between the Delangre stand and the Bonnus stand. When works are complete (2017-2018 season), Mayol Stadium will have a capacity of more than 18,000.
The Bonnus stand is in memory of Michel Bonnus, RCT captain for six years and international French player in 1937. The most illustrious representative of the Bonnus family left Besagne in August 1959 at the age of 44 as a result of an attack. As far as Daniel Herrero is concerned, « real Toulon supporters always sit in the Bonnus stand ».
The Lafontan stand is in tribute to Jules Lafontan, RCT Prop from Tarbes. As a resistance fighter, he fell under German bullets during the liberation of Toulon in 1944.
The Finale stand conserves the memory of Charles Finale, the young Prop who tragically died following a particularly rough match between Toulon and Grenoble in the Manoir Challenge in October 1964.
The Delangre stand is named after Eugène Delangre, RCT flanker from 1920 to 1944 and co-trainer with his partner « Gu » Boréani in 1948. He was born in 1904 and passed away in 1970.